If you are planning a major move to a new house or apartment, packing is probably your next step. For many, packing is the bane of their existence. It is certainly not the best part of moving. Still, these tips will ensure that your packing is a smooth process.
1. Pack only items from the same room in each box. This makes the process of packing quicker, but it also improves your speed unpacking.
2. Use suitcases and trash bags for clothes. This makes good use of the space inside your suitcases, and you can use the clothing on hangers when you pack it all in a trash bag.
3. Pack books in small boxes. Books tend to get extremely heavy very fast, so the small size will make the boxes easier to carry. Plus, you have less chance of the boxes busting open.
4. It may be tempting to use newspaper to wrap china and other white glass items, but avoid it. Printing on the newspaper will rub off onto your expensive items. You may want to use white tissue paper instead.
5. Stack dishes vertically rather than flat. This allows you to stack more dishes safely, not worrying that they are going to break. If you use the right material to stuff between the plates, you will find that they actually travel quite well.
6. Don't trust used boxes to hold up. While you can certainly pack with used boxes, it is wise to strengthen corners with tape and only pack light items inside. Save the heavier and breakable items for new boxes you can trust.
7. Only use packing tape. Other types of tape may be too weak or will not hold up as long as you may need them to. Plus, it will not cause damage to your property.
8. Tape pieces of electronics and furniture to the main frame. This prevents those essential pieces from getting lost in the shuffle.
9. Tape boxes shut rather than interlocking the top folds. This ensures that the box does not randomly pop open and that everything stacks correctly.
10. Use custom boxes when necessary. Certain types of boxes are meant for breakables, keeping them intact for your move.
It is essential that you take great care in packing, but it is also important that you trust the people helping you move. Professional movers can make it easy for you and your family. Contact a local moving company for more info.